The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960
(59 of 1960)
As amended by Central Act 26 of 1982.
Arrangement of sections
Chapter 1 - Preliminary
1. Short title, extent and commencement.
3. Duties of persons having charge of animals.
Chapter II - Animal Welfare Board Of India
4. Establishment of Animal Welfare Board of India.
5. Constitution of the Board.
5A. Reconstitution of the Board.
6. Term of Office and conditions of services of members of the Board.
7. Secretary and other employees of the Board.
8. Funds of the Board.
9. Functions of the Board.
10. Power of Board to make regulations.
Chapter III - Cruelty To Animals Generally
11. Treating animals cruelty.
12. Penalty for practising Phooka or doom dev.
13. Destruction of suffering animals.
Chapter IV - Experimentation Of Animals
14. Experiments on animals.
15. Committee for control and supervision of experiments on animals.
16. Staff of the Committee.
17. Duties of the Committee and power of the Committee to make rules relating to experiments on animals
18. Power of entry and inspection.
19. Power to prohibit experiments an animals.
Chapter V - Performing Animals
21. "Exhibit" and "Trained" defined.
22. Restriction on exhibition and training of performing animals.
23. Procedure for registration
24. Power of court to prohibit or restrict exhibition and training of performing animals.
25. Power to enter premises
Chapter VI - Miscellaneous
28. Saving as respects manner of killing prescribed by religion.
29. Power of court to deprive person convicted of ownership of animal.
30. Presumptions as to guilt in certain cases.
31. Cognizability of offences.
32. Powers of search and seizure.
33. Search warrants.
34. General Power of Seizure for examination.
35. Treatment and care of animals.
36. Limitation of prosecutions.
37. Delegation of powers.
38. Power to make rules.
38A. Rules and regulations to be laid before Parliament.
39. Persons authorised under section 34 to be public servants.
41. Repeal of Act 11 of 1890.
View the Act in PDF Format
View the rules in PDF Format